the chill factor – apricot-cherry goat cheese mousse

by hungryrabbit on July 29, 2011

Apricot-Cherry Goat Cheese Mousse

After a few posts that involved recipes requiring a hot oven, even stubborn me has to admit that this last heat wave in New York has extracted enough sweat out of my body. As much as I love the aroma of fresh baked goods, the extra coolness in the apartment wins out as July simmers into August.

I turned to the oasis of my refrigerator. A chilled dessert sounded just right, but I also wanted a contrast of flavors to refresh senses dulled by heavy humidity. Combining a smooth ice-cream-like texture with the luscious flesh of apricots would create a sweeping cool front on my personal weather map.

Then I remembered a conversation with Barb (@creativeculinary), who along with Rachel (@fujimama) started Goaterie, a group of people with shared interests in all things goat. The enthusiasm of this group got me to consider the possibility of goat cheese or milk in a dessert.

After a bit of recalculation, I decided to pair goat cheese mousse with a tangy apricot gelée—and finish it with a sweet cherry coulis . . .OK, I’m ready. Bring on the next heat wave.

Apricot_Cherry_Goat_Cheese_Mousse

Apricot-Cherry Goat Cheese Mousse

yield: 5 serving glasses

Apricot Gelée:

1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 cup fresh apricot puree (see recipe notes)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1. Sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minute to soften.

2. In a small saucepan combine the apricot puree, sugar. Place the pan over medium-low heat and, stirring often, heat until the sugar dissolves and come to a simmer.

3. Stir in gelatin-lemon mixture until fully dissolved. Divide between the serving glasses. Cool slightly then refrigerate until set, at least an hour.

Goat Cheese Mousse:

1 cup heavy cream, cold
4 oz (120gr) goat cheese, at room temperature
2-4 tablespoons granulated sugar, depend on your sweetness preference
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of lemon zest, freshly grated
1 tablespoon of lemon juice, freshly squeezed

1. In the medium bowl, whisk the cream to medium stiff peaks. Transfer whipped cream to a small bowl and refrigerate.

2. In the now emptied medium bowl (no need to clean bowl), whisk together the goat cheese and sugar. Add the lemon zest, juice and extracts, mix thoroughly until incorporated.

3. Add 1/3 whipped cream into the goat cheese mixture to lighten mixture. Carefully fold in remaining whipped cream by placing your spatula in the center of the bowl, scooping the bottom over the top. Give your bowl a 45 degree turn and repeat until the batter is smooth.

4. Fill a pastry bag with the mousse and divide it evenly over the apricot gelée filled serving glasses.

Sweet Cherry Coulis

8 ounces of bing or rainier cherries, pitted and halved
1/4 cup superfine sugar

1. Place cherries, sugar and 2 tablespoons of water in a blender. Pureed until smooth.Add mixture in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Adjust sweetness and cook until slightly thickened.  Pour coulees into a bowl, let cool to room temperature. Pour over goat cheese mousse and serve or refrigerate.

Apricot_Cherry_Goat_Cheese_Mousse

hungryrabbit July 29, 2011 at 11:24 am

Leave it to the rabbit to bring a cool and beautiful dessert to the #Goaterie table. This cools me off just looking at it…beautiful photo Ken.

Winnie July 29, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Wow Ken. That’s just gorgeous. Love the idea of the goat cheese mousse!

Daydreamer Desserts July 29, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Love the contrast of flavors and textures Ken… you couldn’t have posted this at a better time! xo

marla July 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Great mousse recipe. I am loving Goaterie. Glad to be a part of this fun group with you. I posted Banana Blueberry Milkeshakes :)

sweetsugarbelle July 30, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love pannacotta. The texture of this really intrigues me. You know how you can usually imagine flavors? I can’t quite place goat cheese mousse! Super interesting!

Elizabeth July 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Oh my goodness, that sounds just so delicious and refreshing. Not to mention that I have 10lbs of apricots sitting in my kitchen. Thanks to my in-laws who recently traveled to the Okanagan (the Canadian desert), we’ve got stone fruit up the you know what.

No heat wave here though, but I think any recipe where I don’t have to turn on the oven is a great thing indeed!

Mark Scarbrough August 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Wow. I love your goaty recipe. I hope you’re going to be on the #goaterie band wagon tonight!

Russell van Kraayenburg August 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Dear lord these look scrumptious! The colors/layering is soo pretty. I’ve never tried anything like a goat cheese mousse. Is it tasty? I love goat cheese but in dessert? I guess I need to live a little!

Brian @ A Thought For Food August 2, 2011 at 7:17 am

I just realized (when I saw your comment, of course) that I totally forgot to comment on this post after I read it this weekend! What a fantastic idea to use it in a dessert, Ken… it looks light and creamy and it uses such wonderful seasonal fruits. I have no doubts that this is nothing short of marvelous.

Simone August 3, 2011 at 5:30 am

That looks so good Ken! Love it… I’ve seen dessert before with goatcheese but I’m not entirely sure I will get Tom to eat it.. Being a goatcheese hater, so I think I will just have to make this for myself. It looks too good. We don’t have the heatwave to go along with it, but hey this will work in winter climates too!

Margaret August 3, 2011 at 12:54 pm

The moose looks delicious, and sounds so refreshing. I could definitely eat this on a hot summer day. As usual the photos are gorgeous!

Hazel @ TastyPursuits August 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm

These look absolutely divine Ken! I just love that you mixed up sweet and savory in this dessert.

Stephanie August 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Wow this looks delicious! I love goats cheese and a dessert with goats cheese mousse sounds all tangy and delicious

Paula - bell'alimento August 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Genius! Love it!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) August 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm

You are a man after my heart…gosh! Love it! Must make it soon…

Jeanne @ CookSister! August 10, 2011 at 7:32 am

Love the look of this – and the fact that it’s not too sweet! Could have used some of your chilled desserts in Dubai this weekend ;o)

Jamie August 24, 2011 at 5:28 am

Ken this is gorgeous! And I have been wanting to make a sweet treat like this with goat cheese! I am so loving it with the apricots and cherries. And oooh so pretty!