saffron-apricot popsicles

by hungryrabbit on August 5, 2011

Saffron-Apricot Popsicles

Just as peaches seduced me into making my Peach n Blueberry Pie, I can’t keep my hands off apricots. Though not as fragrant, the flesh tones of apricots with a hint of chartreuse are visually just as enticing as their larger cousin.

When I was purchasing apricots to make gelée for the goat cheese mousse, many other applications came to mind. So, I bought extra. I forgot, however, to factor in the time that I didn’t have for making those extra recipes. The problem is I can’t just devour the overstock of these raw summer jewels. I have an allergy and must cook, bake, fry, grill, steam, mist, foam, freeze, or otherwise alter apricots in order to enjoy them.

I followed my first instinct and puréed the fruit, with the intention to freezing it for later use. As I prepped the containers, popsicles seemed like a better idea. But, what would go with apricots?

Ahh, the Middle East was the place to go. Apricots, saffron, pistachios are ingredients you can find at any Middle Eastern market. These ingredients evoke an alluring earthy sweetness. Salted pistachios are the surprise texture and taste you’ll encounter in these refreshing popsicles. Of course, given another opportunity to elevate a childhood treat to adult stature, I added some booze. Aperol not only adds an herbaceous dimension but a beautiful sunset hue.

Saffron-Apricot Popsicles

yield:10 popsicles

Ingredients

1 pound apricots, pitted and quartered
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
Large pinch of saffron
1 tablespoon lime or lemon jiuce
2 tablespoons Aperol (optional)
2-3 tablespoons salted pistachios, toasted and chopped

Directions

1. Place apricot, sugar and water in a blender and puree until smooth. Add mixture and saffron to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, about 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice and Aperol. (if use) Cool for 30 minutes.

2. Pour 1/2 of the mixture evenly into ice-pop molds. Stir toasted pistachios into remaining mixture until combined. Pour into ice-pop molds and insert sticks. Freeze pops until solid, 3 to 4 hours.

Baker Street August 5, 2011 at 7:48 am

Umm.. Yummm.. Looks gorgeous and i bet its a perfect treat for on a summery afternoon.

Gail August 5, 2011 at 7:50 am

DE-lightful! Great combination of flavors….loving the aperol!! xo

Brian @ A Thought For Food August 5, 2011 at 8:09 am

Ken… these are beautiful. I can’t keep my hands off of apricots either… which is a problem because they give me a bit of a tummy ache if i eat too many. But how could I resist these Popsicles?

Lora August 5, 2011 at 8:12 am

These are just gorgeous luscious popsicles! Love the flavors and the Aperol addition.

Daydreamer Desserts August 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

Brilliant repurposing of these gorgeous apricots if you ask me! :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary August 5, 2011 at 9:57 am

Ken, these are beautiful and make me feel a bit better about my latest obsession. Popsicles. With Aperol. Brilliant!

Margaret August 5, 2011 at 11:29 am

Wow, I love the color of these pops. I’m allergic to stone fruits too which is so unfair since I used to eat them all the time. This is a great way to enjoy them.

Jenn August 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm

These are gorgeous – fantastic photography Ken and what an awesome flavor combination!

foodwanderings August 5, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Gorgeous Wabbit! Ah-mazing photography, color palette and original flavor combination. Beautiful, truly I wish I had one.

Foodies on the Fly August 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm

These look divine. Would love to have one right now. Such a great idea for the season.

Shirley@kokken69 August 5, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Ken, these look gorgeous! Love the amazing flavors. Am totally in
Love with the photos too!

Tina@flourtrader August 5, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I am trying to imagine all these flavors together in one bite, but alas the only way to know is to truly make these. Looks like I need to put pistachios and apricots on my next grocery list. Stunning photos-yum!

Heidi @ Food Doodles August 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm

What a beautiful color those are! I love the pistachios, they sound so yummy :)

Jamie August 6, 2011 at 7:47 am

Apricots, saffron, pistachios are fabulous together and I so love these popsicles…. fruitsicles? Lovely pics as well. Just perfect, Ken. xo

Winnie August 6, 2011 at 8:03 am

I’ve decided apricots are definitely my favorite fruit. I adore how you’ve used them here…beautiful!

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) August 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Whats not to love? Sensational wabbbit…. just WOW!!

marla August 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm

These pops are gorgeous, will be linking to them in tomorrows post :)

Jeanne @ CookSister! August 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

Awesome – I adore the combination of apricots and saffron – and ANYTHING aperol gets my vote ;o) Love the pics too :)

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy August 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Love the beautiful color of these popsicle- yellow makes me weak in the knees! Thanks ..I m trying this asap!

sweetsugarbelle August 13, 2011 at 1:56 am

My neighbor has an apricot tree. My kids think there’s no better treat than walking down to pick a few during the summer months. Even after they are long gone one of the littler ones will always ask to go pick one of those little orange apples, lol! This year the tree didn’t fruit because of the drought. It made me sad really, because popsicles of any sort would’ve been wonderful! Id have never thought of it, and wouldn’t my kids love me! Great post Ken!

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen August 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

OMG! How great looking are these. Saffron gets all my attention

Curt August 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Saffron and Apricots. Nice combination. I’ll bet that tastes really good.