you are my sunshine – butterscotch-banana blondies

by hungryrabbit on November 9, 2012

Butterscotch-Banana Blondies

Butter! Once we were able to return to the apartment after Hurricane Sandy, I wanted the smell of brown butter to once again fill the kitchen. The bars of gold and silver wrapped Kerrygold butter sat on the cool floor tiles awaiting our retrieval, like treasures resting in Gringotts Wizarding Bank.

A week earlier, I had been excited to receive pounds of butter from Pie Party Potluck Live, thinking I was set for the holiday season. Then the storm’s power outage had forced me to dispose of all perishables from the refrigerator and freezer. Without a clear schedule for power restoration, it was hard to gauge what to throw out when.

After some energetic twitter chatter, I decided that the heatless apartment was cool enough to keep butter. So I placed them in the coolest spot and hoped for the best.

As soon as we restocked the basic groceries, I started to brown butter for a batch of these Butterscotch-Banana Blondies. The aroma of brown butter comforted us–and signaled that we were back home.

Butterscotch-Banana Blondies

1 large egg yolk, room temperature
1/4 cup (1-3/4 ounces)  granulated sugar
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 1 medium banana)

Directions

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350℉. Butter a 8 x 8-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter and flour parchment paper.

2. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter until it turns golden brown, about 5-8 minutes; remove from heat, and let cool for 15-20 minutes.

3. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl, set aside.

3. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine brown butter and both sugars; beat on low speed until combined, 1 minute. Add egg and egg yolk, beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add half of the flour mixture, beat until combined. Beat in vanilla and milk, follow by the remaining flour mixture. Beat until combined. Pour 3/4 of the blondie batter into prepared pan and spread evenly with small off-set spatula. Pour remaining batter into a bowl, set aside.

4. Wipe bowl of stand mixer clean, add cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, butter and vanilla to clean bowl. Beat on medium speed until combined. Add flour, cornstarch and mashed banana, continue to beat until mixture is smooth and fully combined, about 20 seconds.

5. Pour banana mixture on top of blondie batter in prepared pan and spread evenly. Dollops remaining blondie batter, about 1-inch apart. Gently swirl banana mixture into blondie batter with a knife, off-set spatula or chopstick to make desire pattern.

6. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs but not wet, about 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before turning out of pan onto a cutting board. Peel off parchment paper; cut blondies into 2-inch squares. Blondies can be stored between layers of parchments, or in muffin cups, in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.

Michelle Jaffee November 9, 2012 at 7:42 am

These look divine! Would be perfect for – ahem! – breakfast.

Brian @ A Thought For Food November 9, 2012 at 8:17 am

I wouldn’t have thrown out the KG butter either… that stuff is, well, gold ;-) We actually keep our butter on the counter in the winter as it stays cold enough in our apartment (we sometimes).

These look amazing, Ken… I can smell that brown butter from here.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets November 9, 2012 at 8:44 am

Oh my these look perfect!!

Jeanne @ CookSister! November 9, 2012 at 9:37 am

Holy moly – look at the state of those babies!! Need one right now with my coffee…

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm

These are stunning, and the perfect treat to make after returning home. I’m dying to try!

Meghan November 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I have quite the thing for blondies, and these look divine! Beautiful photos as always Ken!

Dina November 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm

these are different and sound good!

kelly @ kellybakes November 9, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Gorgeous blondies, gorgeous photos, as always. I’m glad that the Kerrygold was able to able to bring comfort back to your apartment after such a trying week–they really are worth their weight in gold!

Abby November 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

Another winner Ken! I agree w Michelle.. I’m filing under Morning Food!

Debra November 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Yum – these sound/look really good, I’m always looking for something to bake with my over ripe bananas! May have to whip these up this weekend

Peggy November 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

What a perfect welcome home present to yourselves =)

Denise November 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Oh .. love butter and love butterscotch. These look and sound heavenly. To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I had a blondie and I am pretty sure it was not as good as this! Thinking these may be tagging along with our holiday dinner next week!!

April November 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Made these tonight. 3/4 c brown sugar, no white sugar in the bars, 8 T. Butter, cream cheese part as written. Unexpected flavor; pretty fabulous. I’ve never had bars like these before but they’re delicious.

hungryrabbit November 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Hi April, so glad you enjoyed them. -Ken

Diana @ The Chic Life November 15, 2012 at 10:51 am

These look decadently fabulous! Love the combo of bananas and butterscotch. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks November 18, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Just saw these and repinned them! They combine everything I love – bananas, butterscotch, and blondies!

Beth April 23, 2013 at 9:40 am

Just discovered your blog via a mention on Huffington Post. Beautiful pictures, original recipes, can’t wait to try some of them!

hungryrabbit April 23, 2013 at 10:19 am

Hi Beth, welcome to Hungry Rabbit, glad you like the content. Happy Baking! -Ken

Tammy May 2, 2013 at 10:47 am

Just made my first batch of the blondies; my batter was too thick to pour, almost like cookie dough. Did I mess something up?
Haven’t tried them yet as they are still cooling. They look and smell yummy!

hungryrabbit May 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hi Tammy, the batter should not be tight like cookie dough. There could be a couple of reasons with that outcome; your brown sugar might be too dry or maybe you added more flour than indicated in the recipe. I hope you’ll try it again and yield the exact result. -Ken

Nadine May 9, 2013 at 8:16 am

I am the same as Tammy, my batter is too thick to pour too. Still in oven so will see how they turn out, I mixed some of the banana mixture into brownie mix to loosen it up….fingers crossed ;-)

hungryrabbit May 9, 2013 at 8:36 am

Oh my, I made it several times and that didn’t happen to me. I’ll make it again and update you on my result. Apologies for the discrepancy. -Ken

Lorraine Klug June 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

My batter too was fairly thick, and not pourable. I spread the first layer. The second layer of dough was harder to spread on top of the banana mixture, but it turned out fine. Nice flavor.

Erin March 11, 2014 at 9:41 am

I’ve made these twice (and each batch doubled) and mine bubbled up on the edges and made more of a brownie crust all around the edge. They also took a lot longer to bake and get firm in the middle so that the top ended up looking golden brown. That being said, they are delicious despite mine not looking like your pictures!