nyc 2nd annual cookie swap

by hungryrabbit on December 9, 2011

NYC 2nd Annual Cookie Swap

It was time to start packing up the baked goods for the NYC 2nd Annual Cookie Swap, which this year will benefit Cookies for Kid’s Cancer. After a quick breakfast, I started packing the cookies, but the task wasn’t that easy–I had made several types and couldn’t bring all. After taste testing them for the last time (yes, I ate cookies after breakfast) I decided to bring Coco-Mac Cookies with Pineapple Caramel and Bourbon Cherry Brownie Cookies. (I’ll post the recipes soon). The Ginger Snowdrops that I’ve originally planned for this occasion were perfectly fine, but I wanted to bring more surprises.

By the time I walked up to Hill Country, Maggy (@ThreeManyCooks), Gail (@THEToughCookie), Jackie (@divathatateny), and Elizabeth (@GrillGirl) were already setting up the room on the lower level. With the help of some more volunteers and the restaurant’s staff, we were ready to receive the pending avalanche of cookies.

The attendees came down the stairs at precisely 1 pm, checked in, and promptly found a spot to display their baked goods. The room was electrified by the cookie connection.

Everyone dug into the buffet of barbecue briskets, ribs, and chicken, plus sides of mac-n-cheese, corn pudding, bourbon sweet potatoes, and cucumber salad. Very soon after, the crowd was eager to hunt down and gather their cookie choices in the large plastic containers provided by Glad.

Then came the raffle of prizes to benefit Cookies for Kid’s Cancer—an OXO gift basket, cookbooks from Wiley publication, dinner for two at Hill Country,  and a KitchenAid stand mixer.

As always, these festive get-togethers go by too fast. The attendees packed their cookie haul, picked up their swag gifts from Cheap Cookie Cutters, and said their goodbyes. Maybe some of the cookies made it all the way home.

Jackie Gordon Singing Chef December 9, 2011 at 7:51 am

Who loves ribs? April does!!!! I love the chronological approach of your post you really captured the whole event. I guess I wound up on the cutting room floor…We should have made a point to take a shot of us all together… Love your cookie shots! Do you know who made those flat chocolate coffee cookies?

Jay @ LocalFood.me December 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

Great wrap up and gorgeous photos! So sorry to have missed it. Love the cookie ornaments.

Gail December 9, 2011 at 8:31 am

LOVE THESE PHOTOS! I agree w/ Jackie…the chronology, the spontaneity, April’s rib tickler! BEST photo recap!!!!!!!! I’m not at all biased either, because of the special placement of my cookie tree!!!

Jersey Girl Cooks December 9, 2011 at 8:50 am

Love the photos. Really wish I could have made the event as it looks like it was wonderful.

Georgie December 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

Gorgeous beautiful photos and they tell the entire story so well, a wonderful event. PS your cookies we’re real good!

Margaret December 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

You really captured the spirit of the event with your photos. These are gorgeous. I love the photos of the cookies, and the pic of April is hysterical. I also love love love your Coco-Mac Cookies with Pineapple Caramel, they were so f***ing good! Sorry I only took two. :(

Sunchowder - Wendy Read December 9, 2011 at 10:14 am

Gorgeous photos and recap Ken! I so wish I could have been there with you celebrating for a good cause. Congrats on a job well done!

abby dodge December 9, 2011 at 1:49 pm

This is some impressive recap!

sweetsugarbelle December 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Ken!!!! I feel like I missed out this time! This is my kind of fun!

Lillian December 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm

goodness Ken – you made every cookie (attendees, included) look so beauteous! love the coloring… looking at these photos is making me wish we could rewind to last Sunday so I could try every single one of these cookies!

rowley December 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Pity San Diego is so far away — this looked like a great time. Nice photos, too, Ken. I’m envious; we’re in the midst of a move (the truck comes in the morning) and there’s not a cookie to be had in the entire apartment. First order of business in the new house? Well, pop the cork on some champagne. SECOND order of business, though, is to get working on baking, starting with salted ginger cookies, then diving into marathon baking as I wrangle the new oven into submission. Cheers!

foodwanderings December 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I see you put your 1.4/50mm to good use and the indoor shots came out fab! Great recap!!

Emily | Nomnivorous December 9, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Ken, these photos are gorgeous! AAAALL of the cookies, the people, the mood is totally captured here. Thanks again for hosting, and being such a fantastic historian for the event.

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen December 10, 2011 at 1:24 am

What a fantastic event! I had such a nice time meeting you, Ken! And it was a pleasure to meet Gail, Maggy, Jackie and all the other fab foodies! You take such awesome photos, I felt like I was transported back to the NYC Cookie swap again. The food we ate was divine….but your cookies were just heavenly! Yes, please post soon. Thanks for this recap!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) December 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Wow, how fun and for such a wonderful cause. All the sweets look amazing (and the ribs, too). Looking forward to seeing your post on the coco-macs and brownie cookies. They both sound fab!

Lora @cakeduchess December 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm

What happened to photos of The Diva! (just giggling at her comment-you two crack me up always). GORGEOUS cookies and such a beautiful recap. Your photos are incredible!xx

Jamie December 12, 2011 at 6:47 am

Damn! One more reason for me to move to NYC – ASAP! Looks and sounds fabulous and what a gorgeous selection of cookies!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Looks like so much fun! I’m so sad I couldn’t make it to NYC for the swap!

Me And My Sweets December 14, 2011 at 5:17 am

I love the pics, the cookies looks delicious! And what a wonderful event!

Brian December 14, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I do wish I was there. Next time, I’m making the trip!

Jen Laceda December 19, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Holy @#%! That’s a LOT of cookies! Looks like a very successful event. Wish I was in NYC :)