travel: rabbit hungry in his city

by hungryrabbit on December 19, 2010

Hong Kong - The Dim Sum experience

It had been two years since I last step foot in Hong Kong, so visiting my family provided an opportunity to reconnect to some favorite food traditions of this city. High on the list was the wonderful dim sum 點心. for lunch. Most tourists visit dim sum parlors famous for their traditional style of endless servers whooshing past with trays and carts overflowing with specialties. It’s hectic fun, but I prefer places that focus more on taste, execution, and quality of ingredients.

Fook Lam Moon does exactly that each time. The food was exquisite, the service impeccable, and the décor understated contemporary elegance. We went with my brother, a long-time customer, who discussed various dishes with waitress before confirming our order. The customers always seem to be a very satisfied lot.

Photos above:-

First row from left to right: Har Gow, sweet shrimp filling encased in the thinnest crystal wrapper; Shiu Mai, moist unctious pork filling in a classic yellow pocket wrapper, garnish with a dab of crab roe; Crispy Taro Dumplings, delicate lace-like batter with mushroom, pork and mashed taro.

Second row from left to right: Crispy Taro Dumplings; Shrimp with Crispy Tofu Skin wrapped in Rice Crepes drizzled with Sweet Soy Glaze, you must eat this fast to experience the different textures; Char Siu Bao, sweet and savory bbq pork steamed inside a light spongy rice bun.

Third row from left to right: Beef Fried Rice, flavorful ground beef stirred fried with egg and aromatic scallions; Salt n Pepper Dried Squid, a delicate balance of fragrant Szechuan peppered salt and sweet flesh of calamari; Har Gao, classic shrimp dumplings served in a bamboo steamer basket.

Fourth row from left to right:
Steamed Tripe with Black Bean Garlic Sauce; Young Pea Shoots braised in an Egg White Crab Sauce; Supreme Soy Sauce Stir Fired Egg Noodles, al-dente noodles with crunchy bean sprouts in a dry soy glaze, a flavorful compliment to many dishes.

Photos above:-
Top row from left to right: Banana Wrapped Steamed Dumplings with Red Bean Paste; the sweet red bean paste filling inside the dumpling.

Bottom row from left to right:
Steamed Bao with sweet and savory Sesame Egg Yolk Filling; Silky smooth Coconut Custard.

Without doubt, another must-do food activity is afternoon tea, one of the few lasting influences of British Culture in Hong Kong other than the English language. Some people go for the grandeur of the Peninsula, others enjoy the new contemporary coffee houses. We opted for the Mandarin Hotel Coffee Shop instead of its classic lounge on the mezzanine. The artful display of cakes, pastries and confections seduced us as we walked past on the way to our table. Especially for this time of the year, they offered many Christmas creations that were too beautiful to eat—well, almost.

foodwanderings December 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Beautiful post Ken. Such a great culinary documentation and tribute to your city. It makes me want to travel to Hong Kong! Now oven is beeping gotta run to my first batch of 40 cookies or so. Love you babe!!

Jacqueline Church December 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm

BEEEyootiful. “Ho lang” I think we say. I haven’t been back to HK since a business trip AGES ago. Hoping to go back one day w/my husband who was born there. We have a favorite uncle still there that’s waiting to host us…wish it were closer, cheaper to get there. Thanks for the virtual tour!

Kay@Chopstix2Steaknives December 19, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I need to get myself to Fook Lam Moon next time I am in HK! The Dim Sum just looks delish!!

Jackie Gordon Singing Chef December 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm

YUM DAMN YOU!!!! YUM! Tummy rumbling!!! Beautiful shots!!! I have to get to Hong Kong and follow in your footsteps. My last trip there was early internet. I had no guidance. I shouldn’t look at any more of your posts from there when I’m hungry. ENJOY!

Brian @ A Thought For Food December 19, 2010 at 7:42 pm

What a feast you are having!!! Glad you are enjoying yourself in Hong Kong!!!

The Duo Dishes December 20, 2010 at 1:00 am

If only somebody would get us a flight to Hong Kong. If only!

Jean December 20, 2010 at 1:02 am

I’ll have it all, please. No, make that two of everything. So jealous that you’re in HK right now. I haven’t quite made it there but soon, very soon. Thanks for whetting my appetite not only to visit but definitely to eat all that glorious food!

Karen from Globetrotter Diaries December 20, 2010 at 1:28 am

I love HK, all your photos are just a tease– I miss the food!!

Ethan December 20, 2010 at 1:41 am

Wow, I so want to go to HK right now, but I have a feeling if I were to navigate the city without a local, i’d be struggling to find my bed, let alone eating like a king!

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle December 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

Thanks for sharing your city with us Ken through your beautiful photos and descriptions that incite drool. We miss you over here and yes, right about now I think there is a continent that is very jealous. Safe journey.

sippitysup December 20, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Gorgeous! You have given me such the travel bug! GREG

Jackie December 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm

You’ve just made me all excited about being in HK soon :D I’m just disappointed that you won’t be there with me, mon choufleur!

Jax x

veron January 17, 2011 at 9:38 am

I miss real Chinese food here in Richmond. That all looks scrumptious! Sadly not going to HK, this time around when I go the Philippines. Now I want to go eat dimsum!

Eleanor Hoh July 22, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Wish I saw this prior to my HK trip, boo. Dim sum looks exquisite. I see you like stuffed taro too, one of my favs.