fall into the mac

by hungryrabbit on November 29, 2010

Chocolate Macarons with Pumpkin Cream

With Thanksgiving behind us and Fall rapidly fading, we all have fresh memories of the season. Over the past few weeks, there were non-stop online chatter and food shows about favorite dishes for the holiday season.  Besides turkey, most of the recipes depend on harvest produce— squashes, pumpkins, apples, pears, plus hearty greens such as Swiss chards, kale, potatoes, and sunchokes.

Perhaps more important than the harvest produce is the alluring scent of spices used to cook them. Cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and clove carry you to an Americana of childhoods past and family kitchens.

Having grown up with different kitchen aromas (see post Remembrance of Flavors Past), I have learned to embrace and associate these flavors at this time of year.  When it comes to fall, it’s all about pumpkin, for me. From the flavor to its texture, pumpkin has the color of an autumnal sunset that calls for harvest celebrations. Since I made Pumpkin Mousse Tartlets to get a taste of Fall, I thought I’d reinvent the flavor profile as a macaron for Mactweets’ MacAttack #13. Instead of a chocolate tart shell, I used a delicate crisp chocolate macaron shell. A pumpkin cream filling replaces the pumpkin mousse, while orange zest still brings a hint of brightness.

Chocolate Macarons with Pumpkin Cream

recipe by hungryrabbitnyc, 2010
make 32-35 macarons

Chocolate Macaron recipe

Pumpkin Cream

4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon orange zest, freshly grated
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add cream cheese, butter and confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg;  beat until incorporated.

To assemble the macarons
Sandwich flat side of macarons together with a generous teaspoon of Bittersweet Mocha Ganaché. Layer macarons between sheets of parchment in an airtight container and let stand at room temperature at least 2 hours to soften before eating.

COOKS’ NOTE: Filled macarons can be kept in an airtight container wrapped in plastic wrap, chilled 2 days or frozen 1 month. Bring to room temperature in wrapped container (to avoid condensation), about 1 hour if chilled or 2 hours if frozen.

Brian @ A Thought For Food November 29, 2010 at 7:42 am

These came out perfect! Look at them! Glad you are promoting the chocolate/pumpkin combo as well! Love it!

Milla November 29, 2010 at 7:46 am

I’d trade my husband for just one of those! I never thought of combining chocolate with pumpkin, but I imagine it works very well. Thanks for sharing.

Paul jennette November 29, 2010 at 8:08 am

Wow sounds heavenly!! Looks like they came out perfect, the photos are great. hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 29, 2010 at 8:19 am

Ken they are absolutely gorgeous!

El November 29, 2010 at 8:42 am

They’re beautiful. Please have one for me!

Lora November 29, 2010 at 8:43 am

These are such beautiful macarons. I love the addition of the orange to the pumpkin cream filling. Nice!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 29, 2010 at 8:47 am

Oh, fancy feet!

Monet November 29, 2010 at 11:24 am

Hi Ken! Another great recipe…another beautiful presentation. I love visiting your site because each of your posts contain such quality material! Thank you for sharing. Once I conquer my fear of making macarons, these will be the first on my list!

foodwanderings November 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Oh Ken, that is what you should have sent my way yesterday for me to have with tea, Were you holding back reluctant to share?! :) I know you would have my dear friend Ken!! Love ya! Shulie

Daydreamer Desserts November 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Those babies belong on the Mac catwalk for sure!

Lora @cakeduchess November 29, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Hi Ken-these are beautiful macs…you are so talented in making them. Chocolate and pumpkin is a delicious and tempting combination :)

Lisa November 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

OMGoodness, Love these macarons. You’re really awesome at making these delightful treats. And I just realized that I saw you at the FB festival and it occurred to me that you’re the one. The macaron king! I wish I could have picked your brain a bit. Nicely done as always!~

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle November 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm

You did good rabbit, real good. Jealous of you good. Damn macarons; not yours, mine. :) Three strikes and I put myself out…now I watch from afar and you never disappoint. Beautiful!

It so happens I am making a pumpkin tart with chocolate today. Not kidding! Guess great minds and all, huh? :)

HI Cookery November 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Nice color and flavor combinations for your fall-themed macarons. The pumpkin cream filling sounds delightful! Great idea transforming chocolate-pumpkin tarts into macs.

Chez Us November 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Look at those feet – love them! Great job on the macs and I love the combination of flavors. Cannot wait to have some time to jump back into my macaroon baking; maybe December!

IslandEAT November 29, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Hi, Ken. Your macarons are truly delightful, and I don’t think I’ve ever come across this combination (certainly not in France, I’m sure). They appear to be consistent, with such fancy feet. Well done!

Thanks,

Dan

arthi November 30, 2010 at 5:35 am

Beautiful Macs Ken..Love the pumpkin filling idea…I made chocolate ones too..maybe its FALLing for Chocolate ;-)

Jean November 30, 2010 at 10:38 am

Your macarons have perfect little feet and are so deliciously smooth. Even Laduree wouldn’t have pumpkin cream in their offerings. Beautiful. :-)

catty November 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

mmm these look beautiful!!

Liren November 30, 2010 at 10:57 am

LOVE these MacAttacks! A much better version, I’m quite certain :)

Liren November 30, 2010 at 11:00 am

Me again, Ken :) I just wanted to clarify – I was referring to yours being better than McD’s Big Mac Attacks…as well as these: http://www.cakespy.com/blog/2010/2/26/mac-attack-macarons-at-mcdonalds-in-paris.html

{ just so you don’t think I’m nutso, but you probably already do :) }

bigFATcook November 30, 2010 at 11:36 am

Holy Macarons!! :)) These look delicious!! :)

Greets from bigfatcook

Kim November 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Wow, these are beautiful. Just beautiful!

I recently learned how to make French macarons, courtesy of Helen. :o) I need to practice, practice, practice. Perhaps I’ll investigate what the mactweets thing is all about?!

Cheers to a great week –

[K]

My Man's Belly November 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm

These are gorgeous! I had no idea you were such a Mac Daddy!

Deeba December 1, 2010 at 5:32 am

Wabbit…these are drop dead gorgeous! That pumpkin cream, spicy with fall warmth, has me enamoured. Sorry I’m here late, but I’m sure you saved one of the 32 for moi? Non?
Mac daddy…tee hee – ♥ it!
Thanks for coming back and ‘falling’ into the mac!

Jackie December 1, 2010 at 8:34 am

I have yet to make macarons, but you & Catty are convincing me that I need to. Now. I’ve got a few things that I’m on a mission to make by the end of the year: this has now made the list. I’ll keep you updated!

Jax x

Jamie December 2, 2010 at 6:04 am

Ken, these are gorgeous! You are the Mac King! And I love the filling you created, it is not only perfect with the chocolate but perfect for fall. Lovely! Your macs always take my breathe away!

Jamie December 2, 2010 at 6:04 am

Oh and Jackie really does need to start making macs!

marla December 11, 2010 at 11:43 pm

These macarons are beautiful & I bet they taste amazing!!

Judy December 16, 2010 at 4:17 am

First time on your blog, amazing recipes and pics. Wow. Love people who share the passion for food! Keep surviving for food, cheers!